Monday, November 30, 2015

Survived Thanksgiving...

... with pretty minimal gain. I expected to be a lot heavier this morning than I was. I gained a total of two pounds and I'm hoping at least one of those is bloat.

My in-laws visited, which was nice because they are good people, but as I know I have mentioned before, my mother-in-law is overweight and has been trying to lose weight her entire life. The problem is, she has legitimate hypoglycemia, so she has to eat often to keep her blood sugar up, (she has passed out on occasions) but she way over does it and that's hard to explain to her. She eats a lot of protein, fiber, and fats to help slow the absorption of the sugar, which is good but she goes overboard. And then she just can't figure out why she can't lose weight. And she tries to exercise, but her exercise is walking strolling just under a mile, once or twice a day. I did a mental tally and she EASILY consumed 1,200 Calories in breakfast alone (lots of bacon, egg, cheese, bread). Then we went for a two mile walk (I stretched it out, cause walking for 3/4 mile hardly felt worth putting my shoes on), but by the time we got home she said her sugar felt low, so she ate an apple with about 1/4 cup of peanut butter on it. A few minutes later, she was digging into some hummus, and then on to some trail mix. This was all before lunch. Quite frankly, I'm surprised she doesn't weigh more than what she does. And she always wants me to solve her weight woes, but as much as I tried to tell her that it really comes down to calories in/calories out, she has convinced herself that there is no way around her eating so many calories in a day. Yes, having some fat and protein will help stabilize your sugar, No, you don't have to have 5 pieces of bacon and 5 ounces of cheddar cheese.

Anyway, the good thing was, they didn't get into town until Thanksgiving evening, and that meant I didn't have to eat all day. Husband and I were both busy getting the house ready, so he didn't even notice I hadn't eaten. I also managed to only have one helping of each dish I consumed, so overall, better than I was anticipating.

Really for the 4 days my in-laws were here, I kept my intake pretty low until yesterday. I ate and drank way too much yesterday so that was the primary reason I was expecting a larger gain this morning.

Also, welcome back to those of you who can't resist this place around the holidays! It always seems to work that way. Like, the force-feeding and strolls down memory lane remind us of how thin we promised ourselves we'd be by this time this year, and how hard we broke those promises. I knew when I logged in today there would be a few familiar blogs from whom I hadn't heard in a while. I was right. Hello!

No comments:

Post a Comment