Saturday, May 14, 2016

Supersize vs. Superskinny

Lately I've been avoiding responsibilities and binge watching Supersize vs. Superskinny. It's pretty good motivation. The tiny people are something to strive for, the large people are something to avoid becoming.

The one thing I find fairly interesting is just how MUCH the skinny people usually supposedly eat, and I have to wonder if it's legitimate, or if the producers of the show just don't want the general public thinking they can subsist on so little. Every time they go over the two individual's daily intakes, the underweight people are consuming usually between 1500 and 1700 Calories each day. They throw out those numbers and talk about how you're supposed to eat 2,000 each day, and only consuming 1700 is this massive "undereat" but most of us know that cutting down to 1700 is not going to have an impact. Our metabolism will just accommodate. Additionally, when they explain the daily intakes of these people (a granola bar, a piece of fruit, a candy bar) when I mentally add all of that up, it totals closer to 800. I know theoretically, cutting Calories to 1700 per day should result in weight loss, but let's face it, it doesn't. Especially when I tell you that for the past couple of weeks that's about what I have been consuming and I guarantee I haven't lost anything. I can feel it.

In typical paranoid food obsessed thinking, I obviously think they are lying.

1 comment:

  1. I swear I could've written this post, lol! I'm up to season 5 somewhere.

    I don't know where you're up to, but they definitely start showing superskinnies who only eat 800, 500, or even less. I think the lowest I've seen was 350 (apparently five 'mouthfuls' a day?!).

    I'd heard of it for years but didn't watch it because the whole concept of swapping diets didn't sit right with me, but after watching a few eps, I started to see the point. It gets better as it goes on, I think (I'm pretty sure they only do 48 hr swaps now instead of a week, show photos of potential health issues instead of a gallery of emaciated photos, stuff life that). I've gotta say I'm apprehensive to watch the 'kids' season though.

    xx

    ReplyDelete